Thursday, July 10, 2014

Self Discipline

I really like science fiction.  I read and watch a great deal of science fiction material.  There is a principle in science fiction called - The Three Laws of Robotics.  For people who know science fiction they know and understand this idea.  For people who do not it is a a long explanation that would include a whole lot of stuff that would sound like blah, blah, blah.  I won't go into the whole thing.  Part of the concept, however, is the idea that a robot cannot allow harm to come to a human through their inaction.  So even if the robot had nothing whatsoever to do with situation unfolding in front of them they cannot just watch and let a human come to harm if there is something they can do to stop it.

I said all of that to say this.  I cannot think of a single time in my life where I have set out to do harm to another human being.  However, through my inaction and my unintentional actions and especially my not thinking first I have caused harm to others in my life.  

All the recent mess that I have seen in blog land has had me evaluating myself and my level of concern for how my actions or my failure to act has effected others.  I think that the key word for me has been responsibility.  I have at times blamed everyone but me for the things that I caused.  I try to live now with the idea that anything I do or do not do is my responsibility as are all the intended or unintended consequences.  I have also learned that, "I am sorry" is only a collection of syllables unless there are actions that go along with them.

I said all of that to say this.  (Yes I am getting to a point eventually.)  I have heard many times inside the DD world the criticism that women should have enough self discipline not to need their husband's discipline.  I think that self discipline is a good thing.  People should have an internal moral compass, and they should strive to be better people.  I also believe that men and woman are not identical.  No matter how sophisticated this world becomes the fact still remains that men and women are different.  I AM NOT saying that women do not have self discipline.  Women are perfectly capable of 'driving' in life.  We are strong and capable.  However, only one person can drive a car at a time.  Two people can discuss and decide and cooperate to get down the road, but there is still only one person driving.  In my OPINION it works much better, partly because of how women and men are different, when the man 'drives', and the woman has the respect, courage, and self discipline to be the navigator.  

At the end of all this pointless rambling I suppose the bottom line is that last sentence.  I suppose that what I was really trying to say is that this is what DD means to me.  

;p

No comments:

Post a Comment